Here is the recipe (with pictures) for my favorite veggie side dish. It was originally a recipe from Tyler Florence on Tyler’s Ultimate on Food Network. The first time I made it, I followed the recipe exactly. It was SO good! Unfortunately, it called for 5 tablespoons of oil! My recipe is modified for our healthy lifestyle. The original recipe is 183 calories and 15 grams of fat per serving and my recipe is 120 calories and 8 grams of fat per serving. My recipes tasted just as yummy doesn’t leave you feeling guilty! So…here you go!
Green Beans with Caramelized Onions and Almonds
- 16 oz. frozen green beans
- 1/2 cup skin on sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 3 large or 4 medium onions (I used brown ones and added an extra onion because we LOVE them!)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
1. Peel and thinly slice the onion. (They can be killer on your eyes!! If you refrigerate them for a while before slicing it helps.)
2. Heat the oil and butter in a large (12-14 inch) pan.
3. Add sliced onion to the pan; stirring often until golden brown (about 20 minutes) Below is the process.
As you can see, the onions reduce quite a bit!
4. Meanwhile, cook the frozen green beans according to the package. I used the stove top directions on the bag which was to bring 1/2 cup water to a boil, add green beans, bring back up to a boil, cover and cook on medium/high heat for 7-10 minutes.