I am currently going through a Bible study book at Calvary Chapel in Moreno Valley entitled Me, Myself and Lies, by Jennifer Rothschild.
In today’s work book lesson, I was challenged to examine the Fact Labels I wear. We all have labels that we wear that we either have placed on ourselves or that others have placed on us. For me, the biggest fact label that I wear is: DISABLED. This is a fact. The doctors labeled me disabled about 8 years ago; the pain I experience every day reminds me of that label. In our book, Jennifer says that sometimes we assign a fateful meaning to our fact labels. The fateful meanings I assign to this fact label of disabled are weak, incapable, defeated. I had to ask myself if these meanings were truth, or fallacy that I had convinced myself of through the many years of speaking untruths to myself in my daily thought life.
It was hard to confront the feelings I have about myself because of my disability. There are days when I feel weak. There are other days when I feel incapable. There are many days when I feel defeated. But these feelings are not truths, they are just feelings.
I decided to find verses that combat the fateful meanings I assign to myself. verses that speak truth about my fact label.
- Psalm 73:26 – My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever.
- Isaiah 40:31 – But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.
- Philippians 4:13 – For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need.
- John 14:16 – And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever.
- Romans 8:37 – No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.
- 1 John 5:4 – For every child of God defeats this evil world by trusting Christ to give the victory.
Oh, how these verses speak truth to my heart! As I read them I feel the power of the Holy Spirit and the comfort of our loving Father wash over me like a steaming hot shower after a long hard day!!! My body may not function correctly all the time, but my God is bigger than my disability! In Christ, I am not weak, I am strong! I am not incapable, I have the Holy Spirit as a helper! I am not defeated, I have overwhelming victory!
What fateful meanings have you assigned to your fact labels? I challenge you to find the verses that counteract the lies of the devil. Let them speak truth into your heart today!