I was on the Weight Watcher’s website this morning looking for some dinner ideas and I came across a recipe for Chocolate Dipped Macaroons. They looked absolutely amazing and only 2 point per Macaroon.
I have never made them before, but the recipe looked easy enough so I decided to give it a try and share it with you. As you will see below, the process didn’t go as planned. When I realized this was going to be a disaster, I contemplated whether to post it or not. I ended up thinking, “Why NOT? At least people will be entertained!” So, below is my Misadventure with Macaroons!
Chocolate Dipped Macaroons
- 3 large egg whites (I had extra-large eggs…I think this is where I went wrong!)
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups packaged shredded coconut
- 3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small bits
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper. (All I had was waxed paper…could this be another reason for the problems??)
2. In a large bowl, whisk egg whites with sugar. Add vanilla and coconut; stir to combine. (At this point, everything looked fine and dandy.)
3. Scoop up a level tablespoons of batter and place about 1-inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. (The mixture seemed a little runny to me, but since I had never made them before, I kept going.)
4. Bake until tops just start to turn light tan, about 15 to 18 minutes. Remove cookies to a cooling rack for about 30 minutes. (This is where it takes a turn for the worst! I put the macaroons into the oven and set the timer for 10 minutes. My oven doesn’t bake evenly so my plan was to turn the cookie sheet after the 10 minutes were up. I checked on the macaroons and they had turned into little coconut pancakes and smoke was billowing out of the oven. I closed the oven door and left them to finish up doing what ever they were going to do! After the 18 minutes were up, I scraped the cookies off of the waxed paper and put them on a cooking rack. They seemed a little sticky, but I decided to press on! I put them in the fridge to cool. )
After about 10 minutes, I checked on the macaroons. They were falling apart! I decided to try and save them! I took each cookie off the cooking rack and smashed them into little balls, hoping this would hold them together and I put them back into the fridge.
5. Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 60 seconds, stirring every 10 seconds. (I have mastered melting chocolate, so no problems here!)
6. Dip tops of cookies into chocolate. (I tried…I really did, but the cookies kept falling apart! I ended up spooning some chocolate on the cookies, this worked pretty well.) Place dipped cookies on a metal tray evenly spread apart so they’re not touching; refrigerate until chocolate sets, about 20 to 30 minutes.
I left the cookies in the fridge for 20 minutes, then peeled the poor things off of the waxed paper and put them on a plate for presentation. They tasted amazing!! The road was rocky and the journey a little discouraging at times, but we made it! The Chocolate Dipped Macaroons ended up being beautiful and delicious!! So……you might not want to try this recipe, or maybe you do! Good luck!