Seems like it has been forever since I last blogged. There are two main reasons for my absence. The first is the fact that the doctors casted my right arm to see if it would help with the pain (no such luck!) and typing with my left hand only is hard, not only for my brain, but also for my hand. It is not used to doing all the work!
The second reason I stopped blogging was that I didn’t feel like I had anything constructive to say. I would hate to be that person that no one wants to be around because of my negative tone. I could not muster up enough optimism…until now. I am back to reading my Bible every morning and that seems to help. I have also starting reflecting on the good things in my life; people, things, experiences are all gifts from God.
Here is my top 10 list of good things in my life.
1. My husband. He is my rock. Sometimes his even-keel personality drives me crazy. I want him to mirror my emotions! I want him to be angry when I am angry, sad when I’m sad, excited when I’m excited! This does not happen often. He is very calm all the time, this helps calm me down when I’m upset, and keeps my feet on the ground when I get excited about new ideas (“Honey, lets redo the kitchen!!!! Money? We don’t need money! All we need is love!!!”). He is also helpful and patient with me. Since I have had the cast on, he helps me shower and dress, does all the dishes and laundry and almost all of the cooking.
2. My family. My mom and sister are two of my best friends. They know when I’m feeling too down or too much pain to get going, and they know just when to swoop in and rescue me from myself. They show up to take me shopping when I’ve been cooped up in the house too long. Their love and support is so incredibly important to my sanity.
3. My weight loss. It has been a very tough thing for me to lose weight because most of the time I cannot exercise at all. Even walking to the mailbox can be a struggle. But with help from the Lord, my sis, mom and Mike, I have been able to lose about 16 pounds in the last year and a half. Praise the Lord!
4. Snickers. If you have a pet, you know how much they can become part of the family. Snickers is like my child. Since God has not blessed us with children, Snickers is the next best thing. She is funny, curious, snuggly at times and keeps me on my toes, so to speak. She can be very mischievous! But even when we go away for one night, I really do miss her.
5. My home. I love our house! The floor plan is great and there is plenty of room for our little family. Some days all I can see are the repairs and updates that need to be done, but then there are other days when I lay on the couch, look around and feel overwhelmed at how blessed we are to own our own home, that it’s comfortable and stamped with our personalities. But, most of all I love our nice warm bed. It’s like a big hug!
6. My morning routine. A cup of Coffee People coffee with Coffee Mate sugar free Hazelnut creamer, snuggled up on the couch with Snickers reading my Bible and praying. I feel energized and ready for the day after this. Bring it on!
7. Chocolate. Need I say more?
9. Makeup. I really believe makeup application is an art form and I get excited that I get to “paint” a new picture every day. I get to transform into something new, maybe a natural beauty or give myself smokey eyes. It’s so fun to read and study makeup books and new trends.
10. Ministry. I can’t tell you how privileged I feel to be able to minister to God’s people. I sing on our church’s praise team. Singing is something I love and I get excited when God allows me to use that gift He has given me to lead His chidren into His sweet presence. It helps me get my eyes off myself and onto His glory. I also pray for people everyday. Some may think that praying isn’t really a ministry, but it totally is! There are days when that is ALL I can do, I can’t get out of bed, so God in His graces uses me right where I’m at. Praying for people creates a tenderness for people and their trials and struggles. It also helps me to create and cultivate relationship with the people I am praying for. Writing encouraging notes to people is another ministry, but since the cast, it has been put on hold for a while.
So, there’s my list. I challenge you to write down your top 10!