I found a recipe for cheddar and herb biscuits on Pinterest the other day and I knew I would have to try them! The picture looked so good. I printed out the recipe and started my revisions. I changed the name because there aren’t actually any herbs in the recipe, just in the butter topping I omitted. I make all my recipes healthier and lower in fat than the original. Here is what I came up with and MAN! Were they yummy!!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (We LOVE garlic, if you just LIKE it, then use 1 clove)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (I used what I had, apple cider vinegar, but I don’t think it matters)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (sharp would be best, but I used what I had, some Kraft Mexican blend)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour the milk into a measuring cup and add the vinegar and garlic. Let sit for 10 minutes. (If you have buttermilk, you can use that and skip the vinegar)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter until coarse crumbs are formed.
- Fold in the cheese.
- Mix in the milk mixture until moist. Don’t over mix! You may have a couple dry spots, that’s ok.
- Drop the biscuits onto a cookie sheet sprayed with a non stick cooking spray. (I forgot to spray it and had a heck of a time trying to get the biscuits off the cookie sheet. Also, I was able to get 16 medium sized ones. If you like big ones, divide the batter into 12 even plops. 🙂
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the little peaks get golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
These came out so moist and tender! I can’t wait to make them again. If you get 16 out of the batch then they are 2.5 Weight Watchers Points each.