Here is a recipe for one of my favorite desserts!
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup firm butter
- 2/3 cup milk (I use fat free)
- whipped cream (we use the stuff out of a can. It’s what Mike likes.) If you want to make your own, here is a great recipe: http://southernfood.about.com/od/dessertrecipe1/r/bl30825b.htm
1. In a large bowl, stir strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar untuil mixed well. Let stand about 1 hour so strawberries will become juicy.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
3. In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. Cut in butter using a pastry blender until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
5. Stir in milk until just blended.
6. Drop dough by 8 spoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookies sheet. Flatted out the mounds a bit with your hand.
7. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
8. You can let them cool or eat them right out of the oven. Split the shortcake, fill the bottom with strawberries and whipped cream, add the top. ENJOY!