I love Chili’s Southwest Egg Rolls, but I don’t get them very often because they are so high in calories and fat. I scoured the internet for a great recipe for them and then changed it a bit so they would be Weight Watchers Points (the old ones) friendly. Here is my recipe:
Healthy Southwest Egg Rolls
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, diced
- 1/4 cup tablespoons minced green onion
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoonchili powder
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 flour tortillas
1. Cook your chicken breast. You can bake it, poach it, or even buy a rotisserie chicken and use that. Dice up the chicken breast into 1/2 inch cubes. Thaw your spinach so it’s ready when you are!
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add diced bell pepper and green onion.
3. Drain and rinse the can of black beans, drain the corn and add both beans and corn to the skillet and stir it up.
4. Drain the spinach really good. (I just squeeze it in my hand over the sink) and add that to the skillet and stir it up.
5. Dice the jalapenos. How small is up to you. I dice them pretty small do I don’t get too much heat in one bite. Add them to the skillet and (you guessed it!), stir it up.
6. Add diced chicken to the skillet. ( I don’t’ have a pic for that one…Samuel must have distracted me!)
7. Add the cumin, chili powder, salt and dash oh cayenne powder (if you don’t want it too spicky, leave the cayenne out) and STIR IT UP! 🙂
8. Turn off the flame and add the cheese and stir it up. Resist eating some of the filling…ok, I never have been able to. GO FOR IT!
9. Divide the filling into 6 equal parts.
1. Heat the tortillas (wrapped in a damp paper towel) for 1 minute in the microwave. This is the brand of tortillas we use. They are only 97 calories and really yummy.
11. Fill each tortilla with 1/6 of the filling and roll into a burrito (with both ends closed). You want a longer, skinnier burrito, as opposed to a short, fat one.
12. Brush each “egg roll” with the other tablespoon of vegetable oil. One tablespoon is plenty for 6 egg rolls.
13. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Flip the egg rolls over and bake for another 10 minutes.
13. Slice them on an angle and serve with ranch dressing. I use a full fat Ken’s ranch dressing. It’s worth the splurge for me. Mike also suggest dipping them in honey mustard…I don’t get the appeal, but he loves it. 🙂 Enjoy!
If you would like to make this recipe and review it, please do so and leave me a comment letting me know what you thought. And don’t forget to pin it! 🙂