So, I’ve been nesting. With every cookie, bread and cupcake I make, I wonder if Samuel knows I’m ready for him to come…who knows, maybe I will go into labor as I write this!
Let me start by warning you, if you have ever said that a dessert was too chocolaty or sweet, this is NOT the cupcake for you! 🙂 I personally don’t think I have ever said anything like that, so I think this cupcake is “Perfect!”
HERSHEY’S “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” Chocolate Cake (Halved Recipe)
1 cup sugar
¾ cup + 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons HERSHEY’S Cocoa
¾ teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup boiling water
1. Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. (I used silicone ones) Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (I used a whisk).
Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
Fill cups 2/3 full with batter.
3. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. About 12-15 cupcakes. (Looks like I over filled them a bit! OOPS!)
For the buttercream filling:
This is not the recipe I used, but this looks much better than what my made-up recipe finished product looked like, so I would use this recipe next time! I found the original recipe at http://sunshineinmyfood.com/. I would half it for the amount of cupcakes the above recipe makes.
A pint of strawberries
2 sticks of butter, softened
1/2 cup of shortening
3 cups of confectioners sugar
1. Prepare the buttercream frosting while the cupcakes are cooling. Begin by washing and hulling the strawberries.
2. Puree the strawberries in a food processor. Strain the puree.
3. Set aside. Beat the butter and shortening until combined and fluffy with a mixer at medium speed.
4. Add the sugar and mix at medium speed until light and fluffy. About 2 minutes. Add the strawberry puree slowly, and beat another minute until combined.
“PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING (Full Recipe) This makes double the amount of frosting you need for the 12 cupcakes but I like to make a whole batch…who doesn’t need a container of chocolate frosting in their fridge, right??
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Melt butter.
2. Stir in cocoa.
3. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
4. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
To Fill Cupcakes:
1. Take a knife and cut a circle in the center of the cupcake, with the knife angled away from the center so you cut out a cone.
2. Cut off the end of the cone.
3. Spoon the Strawberry Butter Cream into the hole. Cover with top of cone.
4. Frost liberally with Chocolate Frosting. ENJOY!
MIKE SURE DID! 🙂